Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Evening Skincare Routine and Weekly Treats


Hello all!

I'm back with Part 2 of my skincare routine posts. Having already gone through my morning skincare routine, I'm now moving onto the evening process. I take a little more time at night with my skin, because I want to remove all the makeup and gunk that has built up during the day. Also, there's nothing like going to bed with a clean face!

Again, the products mentioned are all pictured in the photo above and will be in order of use, from left to right.

1. Makeup Remover: This is a biggie. The most important part of my evening skincare routine is getting all the makeup off my face, so I don't wake up with panda eyes or skin saturated with foundation. I pay special attention to my eyes, as mascara can be a pain to get off. I've always hated oily eye makeup removers, because they make my skin and eyelids feel greasy, and I never feel like I can remove all the oily excess. Therefore, I look for eye makeup remover creams, which are the consistency of moisturizer and don't leave oil slicks on my face. The Boots Essentials Eye Makeup Remover Lotion is a ridiculously cheap (£1.50!), gentle, and unscented lotion that does the job beautifully. My mom has always been a fan of this and used to pick it up on her trips to England, and I can see why...for the price, it's truly unbeatable, and a little goes a long way. 

2. Face Wash: On nights where I'm exhausted I usually just reach for my cleansing cream and call it a day, but most nights I like to give my face a good wash. I've been using the Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash (£19.50/$24.00) forever, and have never really felt the need to look elsewhere because I'm so satisfied with it. It's a two in one oil-free cleanser and exfoliator, but the exfoliation beads are gentle enough for daily use. I like that it foams but not excessively...I've used face washes that lather like a shampoo, which is not a pleasant experience. It has a light, fresh scent of rose hips and contains soothing ingredients such as chamomile that work well for sensitive skin. All in all, it cleans well, isn't too harsh, and includes a bit of exfoliation, making it a highly recommendable face wash for all skin types.

3. Face Wipes: I like to remove any traces of face wash or makeup with my face wipes. The Simple Kind to Skin Cleansing Facial Wipes (£3.25) are ultra-soft, vitamin-infused, unscented face wipes that cleanse the face without any scratching. I'll be doing a facial wipes review in the near future, so stay tuned. 

4. Toning Water: Back to the old LUSH Eau Roma Toning Water favourite! See my morning skincare post below for a full breakdown of this cult product. 

5. Moisturizer: I like to use a heavier moisturizer at night, but shy away from "night creams" because I find them too thick. Potted day creams are my best option for a moisturizer that will keep my skin hydrated over night. I'm currently using the Korres Wild Rose 24 Hour Moisturizing Brightening Cream, which I've thoroughly reviewed in my "Facial Moisturizer Showdown" post. 

6. Eye Cream: I'm still undecided about the eye cream craze. I'm just not really sure if they do anything that my moisturizer can't accomplish by itself. Nevertheless, I figured I'd dabble with this trend by purchasing an inexpensive eye cream to start. The Simple Kind to Eyes Soothing Eye Balm (£3.99) promises to relax tired eyes and soothe puffiness. I do have darkish circles under my eyes, and it doesn't seem to help in that department, but it does soothe the eyes with a pleasant cooling sensation that feels lovely when I close my eyes to go to sleep. What are your thoughts on eye creams?

And now for my weekly treats....




My weekly treat products are things I only use once or twice a week, because they're either indulgences or unnecessary for daily use. From left to right:

1. Face Scrub: Because my skin leans towards the dry side, I like to use a scrub once or twice a week to rid my dry areas of flaky skin. The Botanics All Bright Purifying Face Scrub is a heavier scrub that has large exfoliation beads that really help to slough away dead skin. It smells fresh and fruity and leaves you with glowing skin. Don't use this more than twice a week, however...it is too harsh for daily use. 

2. Face Masks: Is there anything more satisfying than a peel mask? I don't think so. The Quick Fix Facials Brightening Peel Mask (£4.99 at Boots) unclogs pores and targets dull and uneven skin tones to restore radiance to your skin. The Quick Fix line has several masks that target different problems and comes in several formulas. I find my skin just feels so clean and refreshed when I peel this papaya and goji berry scented mask off my face. Definitely an indulgence!

3. Lip Butter: If my lips are particularly dry, I like to slather them with The Body Shop Mango Lip Butter (£4.00/$6.00). It is an extremely thick opaque moisturizer for the lips that is certainly not something you'd want to wear under lipstick, but feels luxurious on the lips when you're settling into bed and works magic overnight. It comes in a variety of delicious flavours...I have my coconut lip butter all ready to go when the mango runs out.


That's it for my skincare routine! Leave me a comment and let me know what you use to cleanse, scrub, and moisturize your skin to perfection!

xo hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment