Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Facial Moisturizer Showdown

Hello everyone!

I recently finished up the facial moisturizer I've been using for a year, LUSH's "Imperialis," and purchased Korres' "Wild Rose 24-Hour Moisturising Brightening Cream." I thought it would be helpful to do a comparison of the two in case any one is in the market for a day cream!

For reference, my skin is normal to dry, leaning towards the latter in during the cold Canadian winters and humid summers. For this reason, I look for day creams that are tailored towards dry skin without being too thick or greasy (because no one wants to put makeup over skin that feels like that!)



First up: LUSH Imperialis ( £12.75/C$24.95). I really love the idea of LUSH skincare, because it feels nice to know that the cream that you're slathering on your face has natural, beneficial ingredients. It contains "infusions of lavender, St John’s wort, sweet violet, sunflower, elderflower, and mullein", and is touted as the perfect all-around moisturizer for all skin types . At first, I quite liked this moisturizer, because it just felt nicer than a lot of the more synthetic drugstore brands that I had always reached for. The one thing I was never too keen about was its scent; I don't like using highly perfumed creams, and this one smells very strongly of orange blossoms and tiger lily. Some people rave about the scent, but I never actually liked it. As far as consistency, Imperialis is a bit runnier than some day creams, which I liked because it was easy to blend and never felt thick. However, I never found it sunk into the skin particularly easily, and always left me feeling a bit greasy. By the end of the tub, the greasy feeling plus the scent left me desperate to try something new.

Final Verdict: 6.5/10

My Imperialis, looking a bit worse for wear!


Up next: Korres' Wild Rose 24-Hour Moisturizing Brightening Cream ( £20.00/C$44.00). Korres is another company that is known for using a high concentration of natural ingredients in their products, which is definitely a plus for skincare. I was actually attracted to their pomegranate moisturizer at first, which has a lovely gel-like consistency, but ended up purchasing the Wild Rose because it was suitable for normal-dry skin (you can also purchase it in an formula tailored for oily-combination skin). The packaging feels luxurious and hardy, and although it's scented, it is a faint rosy scent that is very pleasant and not over-powering. This cream is much richer than Imperialis (see swatches below), but sinks in quickly and leaves the skin feeling thoroughly moisturized instead of greasy. I find a little goes a long way, simply because it is so rich and blends so easily. Although it is labelled as a "24 Hour" cream, I still feel it's a bit heavy for my everyday morning routine, but I use it at night and on days where I feel as though my skin needs some extra nourishment. However, this is personal preference, so if you like richer day creams, then you might love this!

Final Verdict: 8/10


Left: LUSH Imperialis, Right: Korres Wild Rose



What do you look for in a facial moisturizer? Any suggestions?

xo hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment